Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tips on Bonding ABS Plastic?

So... I cracked my upper fairing during my little shunt on the accursed 915. I have been reading up on what the best way to bond ABS plastic is, and it appears to be the use of acetone to partially dissolve and bond the pieces by making ABS sludge with acetone and ABS shavings... I have also used a soldering iron to "weld" ABS together as it is thermo-plastic plastic as opposed to thermo-set plastic. Has anybody used the acetone technique or does anyone have a proven technique to repair their broken plastics?

Much Obliged.
    "My country is the world, and my religion to do good." - Thomas Paine

I have a chain make/break/rivet tool.
    R.I.P. FZRJunkie - 2009
    R.I.P. Hot Rod - 2010
    R.I.P. 08gsxr - 2011

1993 Honda Civic dx - 30 mpg
    2001 Ducati 996 "Swordfish II"

aviewastride.blogspot.com

Princess Passion the drama queen AssfaultElite
    Im sure someone will post up that im wrong.

I take abs (in the pvc Isle at lowes) glue and purple prime and abs glue the crack, then I take a fairly aggressive adhesive and back the crack with the adhesive and with alum strips, the abs glues the plastic and the alum braces the broken area, I put holes in the alum so the glue goes through the holes and creates plugs to help the mechanical bond, If you have spare abs bits back the plastic with that (perforate it to help the mechanical bond) the abs will expand and contract at the same rate so it should be better.

Scuff the back of the plastic and whatever you use to brace it to help the bond. I dont have pics but I rebuilt a 18" crack in my tail and salvaged all stock plastic on my bike after a wreck, would be willing to help/show you how i do if you want

good luck
    When it happens, it wasnt an accident

From weasel, my understanding is to use CA (cyanoacrilate) glue available at hobby shops. He might chime in with more info on how exactly to do it!
    Thumper Squad

Princess Passion the drama queen AssfaultElite
    cyanoacrylate is a brittle glue,its not made for a butt end weld, its great on abs but would need to be backed and reinforced
    When it happens, it wasnt an accident

I picked up some plastic crack repair/filler from autozone here in town. First thing I did was use a utility knife and took off the jagged bits to get everything lined back up as the crack I was working with did not propagate all the way to the edge of the part....think of it like a vagina in the middle of the fairing. Next I sanded that bastard down to the base plastic using about coarse grit. Naturally when everything was hacked away from the knife there was some missing material but I'll get to that. I lathered super glue, yes, super glue in the crack and let it sit for about a day. I sanded again to smooth it out. After that it was time for the plastic filler. It's a two part compound that will harden when mixed so follow the instructions. Put a few good helpings in and sanded some more. After that it's sanding sanding sanding all the while progressing to a finer grit until no more crack visible. Finally, lay your primer then base coat. Do some good wet sanding with a high grit like 1500-2000 very lightly. When you have the finish you like blast it with some clear. I've never touched a thing body work wise and I think it turned out pretty good.

Pictures for proof

Who is this guy??? JunkieJunkie KdubyaH's Avatar
    You could also use a plastic welder. I have used them to weld bumpers together that were almost cracked in half. You use wire mesh to give it strength and plastic rods to fill it in. You can get a plastic welder from harbor freight for 10 bucks.
    09' Yamaha YZF-R1 "Athena"

abs is the easiest plastics to fix. all kinds of good glues work on it.
    first thing I ever tried on some was "PLASTEX".
    http://plastex.net/
    this stuff doesn't work good for mending 2 parts together like a glue does. but, it can be used to make new tabs, put a tab back on, fill in gaps etc.

one of the best glues I've ever used on some farings was some Plastic specific glue from Loctite.
    http://loctiteproducts.com/p/4/2/sg_...ing-System.htm

if I ever need it again, I'm using this
    http://loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_pl...tic-Bonder.htm

you can actually use fiberglass resin on abs plastic too. and if you put some matting on the back side of a crack will reinforce it and keep if from cracking again. it will be stronger than the rest of the part.
    Last edited by serpentracer; 11-13-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Slayer Hater doesn't drag knees at your rally, why do you drag your bike at his?

I use a combination of stuff.

On large cracks I use an old soldering pencil to melt or weld the 2 parts together from the back side, once this is cool I flood the the joint with MEK (active ingredient in most plastic model glue).

after a few hours apply MEK with a brush to the backside of the damaged area, spreading the MEK out at least an inch from the crack. As soon as the MEK is applied I place a precut piece of Fiberglass cloth to reinforce the joint and flood the cloth with mek gently pushing it into the ABS. Once dried I follow with a gap filling or gel type Cyanoacrylate (superglue) and allow it to set.

Once the whole mess is dry I use a small ammount of the gel type super glue on the front (paint) side of the repair and back scrape it with a razor blade to remove any excess.

Once dry I wet sand with 1000 grit paper to get a smooth surface. In most cases I can then polish and wax the damaged area to where it is barely noticeable.
    Bill Prodoehl

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it sounds like I need to go to lowe's haha.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you charge to fix cracked plastics Bpro??
    "My country is the world, and my religion to do good." - Thomas Paine

I have a chain make/break/rivet tool.
    R.I.P. FZRJunkie - 2009
    R.I.P. Hot Rod - 2010
    R.I.P. 08gsxr - 2011

1993 Honda Civic dx - 30 mpg
    2001 Ducati 996 "Swordfish II"

aviewastride.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SwimmingBird View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, it sounds like I need to go to lowe's haha.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you charge to fix cracked plastics Bpro??
    I don't. Repairing plastics can be pretty hit or miss so I generally invite folks over and show them how to do it. Let me know if you want to come over as last time I forgot to cap the superglue and need to replace it. In most cases I have very good results but panels under a lot of tension are best left to the pros.
    Bill Prodoehl