Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modding my Cable Modem

Guess I can't leave anything alone. A while back I picked up a new cable modem. However this one just didn't seem to be as stable as my previous one. This one also ran noticeably warmer.

I assumed the heat was most likely the cause of my problems and decided to modify it a bit. I picked up some Raspberry PI heatsinks, and a 40 MM fan.

This is the underside of the cable modem. The silver heat sinks I added. This side it was primarily just to memory chips. The big heatsink is on the CPU that was existing. This would have been the ideal side to have the fan, but the fan would not fit inside the case on this side. I added the fan connector to the power leads here as this modem runs off 12 volts, as do most. Using a connector like this will allow me to easily replace the fan if I ever needed to.

One more heatsink on the top side added to a MOSFET just for good measure. May have not been needed, but they were cheap. The fan pulls air through the enclosure.

From the outside it's the only thing that looks any different.

There is definitely a huge temperature difference. It now feels nice and cool when you put your hand near it. It also has not *FasterLongerDeeperHarder**FasterLongerDeeperHarde r**FasterLongerDeeperHarder**FasterLongerDeeperHar der*ed down yet since doing the modification. I would call this a success for a quick, easy, and cheap modification.

Last edited by serpentracer; 12-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    Slayer Hater doesn't drag knees at your rally, why do you drag your bike at his?

Quote Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
    Rgb it
    Haha, this does sit on my entertainment stand in the living room though. That being said it does sit right next to an HTPC with blue lights...

That PC is pretty quiet though, I added lights to it though, as I wanted it to be noticeable that it was on. The one in the bedroom doesn't have any lights.

My main PC however, is lit up:

Interesting i run linux mint myself. I dual boot with windows. Been thinking about building a new rig with an AMD ryzen. Maybe a threadripper
    Slayer Hater doesn't drag knees at your rally, why do you drag your bike at his?

Quote Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
    Interesting i run linux mint myself. I dual boot with windows. Been thinking about building a new rig with an AMD ryzen. Maybe a threadripper
    Yeah that was taken while setting up the PC after I built it. That's my main PC. I use Linux for everything except gaming. While Steam on Linux has quite a few things, it will never have everything, so that machine dual boots Windows 10. I've been on Mint since PCLinuxOS ditched Gnome (long time ago). My keyboard even has Tux instead of Windows keys:

Those new AMD CPUs are definitely impressive. Finally giving Intel some competition, which was definitely needed. My main machine is a 7700k (I7 as I do video and audio processing on that machine), and the GTX1070 as I wanted to eventually pick up a VR headset, just haven't done that part yet. That's been low on the priority list. At this point I'm sort of waiting to see if a second generation gets released (wireless maybe)?

do you use the htpc for video games? I thought about doing this. im not a gamer but I used to have a few game consoles and everyone is kind of saying pc gaming is a lot better than console gaming. since they closed the local RC track i'm getting fucking bored in the winter lol

I recently got back into PC gaming, and actually on the new games, price alone is kind of nice. If you wait for the steam sales, I'm routinely picking up games for under $5. Heck even brand new games I'm getting for $20 in some cases. The latest game I picked up I paid $40 on release day, when it was $60 for all the consoles (It was a surprise for my son, so I didn't want to wait for a sale).

My first HTPC was built as an emulation box. The HTPC functions were just an added bonus. I have collection of classic stuff, but that stuff isn't getting any easier to replace, so I figured for our classic game nights it was time to start using replica stuff. I started off with onboard graphics, and quickly found it would not handle it. I should point out my HTPC in the living room is still a:

4690K (Intel I5)
    16 GB RAM
    GTX 750 TI 2GB (Getting ready to replace with GTX 1050 TI 4 GB card, the 750 card will then go in my sons PC)
    120 GB SSD
    2 TB WD Black Storage Drive

So it's not a slouch of a machine. So game-wise it could handle quite a bit. It has icons on the desktop for the various game systems:

Then I have matching USB controllers for each of the systems (I also have GameCube and Xbox 360 Controllers) that can be hooked to the PC.

If we want to play an "actual PC game" we use gaming PC in the other room. However then I use a Steam Link so we can still sit in the living room and play on the TV (with Xbox controllers). These go on sale as well a few times a year. I bought a backup one last week while it was on sale for $4.99 from Steam (plus $8 shipping). It works really well, but I'm over a wired network. The reviews say it can be a bit sketchy over WiFi. I really like the SteamLink and you don't have to just use Steam games with it. If you have a powerful machine in the house, it might be something to look into. For 99% of stuff it works fine. We've played and beat tons of games on it and never noticed any lag. The only game I've noticed any difference was on Doom. I played the entire game up until the final boss on it. I couldn't beat the boss over it, I didn't even notice the lag, until I came into the computer room and tried the boss. Sitting directly in front of the monitor was different, and the part I had been stuck on was no longer an issue.

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultForumJunkie mahrens34's Avatar
    cool mod. I work with pi boards and solder converters and stuff for telematics at work. Very cool home mod.
    "Tell Karma I lover her, been a real good mother fucker...."

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultForumJunkie mahrens34's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
    I recently got back into PC gaming, and actually on the new games, price alone is kind of nice. If you wait for the steam sales, I'm routinely picking up games for under $5. Heck even brand new games I'm getting for $20 in some cases. The latest game I picked up I paid $40 on release day, when it was $60 for all the consoles (It was a surprise for my son, so I didn't want to wait for a sale).

My first HTPC was built as an emulation box. The HTPC functions were just an added bonus. I have collection of classic stuff, but that stuff isn't getting any easier to replace, so I figured for our classic game nights it was time to start using replica stuff. I started off with onboard graphics, and quickly found it would not handle it. I should point out my HTPC in the living room is still a:

4690K (Intel I5)
    16 GB RAM
    GTX 750 TI 2GB (Getting ready to replace with GTX 1050 TI 4 GB card, the 750 card will then go in my sons PC)
    120 GB SSD
    2 TB WD Black Storage Drive

So it's not a slouch of a machine. So game-wise it could handle quite a bit. It has icons on the desktop for the various game systems:

Then I have matching USB controllers for each of the systems (I also have GameCube and Xbox 360 Controllers) that can be hooked to the PC.

If we want to play an "actual PC game" we use gaming PC in the other room. However then I use a Steam Link so we can still sit in the living room and play on the TV (with Xbox controllers). These go on sale as well a few times a year. I bought a backup one last week while it was on sale for $4.99 from Steam (plus $8 shipping). It works really well, but I'm over a wired network. The reviews say it can be a bit sketchy over WiFi. I really like the SteamLink and you don't have to just use Steam games with it. If you have a powerful machine in the house, it might be something to look into. For 99% of stuff it works fine. We've played and beat tons of games on it and never noticed any lag. The only game I've noticed any difference was on Doom. I played the entire game up until the final boss on it. I couldn't beat the boss over it, I didn't even notice the lag, until I came into the computer room and tried the boss. Sitting directly in front of the monitor was different, and the part I had been stuck on was no longer an issue.
    I have a very similar setup. Water cooled cpu 4790K(i7) and a 1060 card. 1000w corsair PSU too.
    "Tell Karma I lover her, been a real good mother fucker...."

Quote Originally Posted by mahrens34 View Post
    I have a very similar setup. Water cooled cpu 4790K(i7) and a 1060 card. 1000w corsair PSU too.
    Nice, the 4790K is a beast of a chip.

I went water cooled once, got one bad out of the box, which Corsair replaced, the replacement (which was new) failed catastrophically dumping coolant everywhere one year in, taking out my 3570K machine:

Corsair had great customer service, but I've been back to air cooled ever since. As you can see in the image above my 7700K has a NH-D15 on it. My 4690K that replaced that 3570K got a 212 EVO, which I lapped:

Since the cable modem turned out so well, I decided to go ahead and do the same thing to the router:

The fan couldn't be directly over the heatsink, but it still made a noticeable difference drop in the temperature on the router.