My latest Jeep Projects

So for the last several weeks I've had the Jeep apart working on some things (other things kept popping up). Originally when I built my roll cage I didn't have the doors on. The doors have always touched the bars that run between A and B pillars and they actually hold the doors out a bit. So I've wanted to clearance these just a bit. The solution was to cut some of the tube out and weld some 1/4" flat plate in. While not ideal, the 1/4" plate is thicker, and should be enough to make up for what I lost in the tube:

^Moving the Jeep without seats sucks by the way. The roll cage is very uncomfortable to sit on.

My driver side door striker had completely failed. It cracked in several places, and was missing one rivet. Turns out only Kentrol makes ones that matched the dimensions of my factory 95 parts. The first ones I ordered I had to return (Good thing Quadratec has great customer service!).

The other project was upgrade the sound system in my Jeep. It was a bit lacking, especially with the top off at highway speeds. Even with a new gasket between the windshield frame and tub, I still have some water get behind the dash somewhere, I made a better water shield for the my new radio after it was clear my marine enclosure that I ordered wasn't going to fit. It's just to keep water from being dripped on top of the radio.

Really I only replaced the radio in the Jeep to upgrade to one that had bluetooth. First world problems right?

I ordered a Tuffy Security speaker box to add two more speakers, as all I had were the 4x6s in the dash. This at least gives me another set of 5.25s.

The speakers I'm using though had to be spaced away from the front some, which also meant they no longer fit in the box. So I did have to cut the back of the box so they would clear.

Finally to help give everything some extra power I picked up a amplifier. It's a Pioneer unit as well, 4x45 watts RMS. This is also why even the dash speakers had to be changed, as my Sony 4x6s wouldn't handle the 45 watts RMS. I've mounted it under the dash as well, as it's one of the micro units.

It was clear it would need a little more support though being mounted upside down, so I made a bracket out of aluminum to help support it.

The bracket is in the center and should help prevent the tiny end brackets from failing over time.

Overall it's a huge step over what the stereo was. It easily goes uncomfortably loud now, so I should have no problems hearing it without the top and doors now.

Dude that is serious. Really digging the security box.
    1990 FZR 1000
    1990 FZR 600
    2004 YZFR1

Almost all of the comments under this article express the opinion that kids discarded by the corporations are not only expected to keep their mouths shut and make themselves invisible to those who have been granted seats in the lifeboat, but they are also obligated to care about the comfort and facilitate the routines of people who do not care if they live or die.
    Guess what.
    Not caring what becomes of someone is a two-way street.
    You have nothing to give them?
    They have nothing to give you.

-Bill Appledorf of British Columbia Canada
    WERA #119

Well this weekend I put some finishing touches on these projects. I made some small covers to cover the holes I cut in the back of the speaker box. Primarily just to keep some debris out of them.

The driver side floor heater drop also dropped off right behind the box as well, so I made a small extension so it now ends roughly at the box. This should prevent heating the backside of the box (and radio), and directs heat towards the drivers feet.

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultRipper 8 Track's Avatar
    Very nice!

Well got all the dust washed all the Jeep:

Also decided on a proportioning valve for the new brake setup on the Jeep, it's an adjustable Wilwood unit:

I've had a new larger master cylinder for 4-wheel disc brakes sitting in the garage for some time, as well as new braided brake hoses as mine have been looking pretty rough these days. I'll be replacing all the metal line everywhere as well when I install everything. I've spliced into whats there, and since I'm installing new / different master cylinder / proportioning valve, it just makes since to go ahead and replace everything, and make everything new and one-piece.

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultRipper 8 Track's Avatar
    Looks really good!