Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Real talk.....

AssfaultJunkie Hardass icantdrive55's Avatar
    I'll throw in my 2 cents as sort of an outsider. Even tho I've been riding for a long time and around on this forum longer than some, I never really felt like I was part of the " AFJ family".... mostly because I'm way older than a lot of the members on here.

My observation? It's no one's fault, and it's everyone's fault.

First, this has been a very flat spring for a lot of forums. Our LocalRiders forum has been dead for months. Economy? Weather? Fuck if I know, but this isn't the only riding group that has been quiet lately.

Second, I'm old, so time changes my life a bit more sl@wly nowadays, but the young folks on AFJ? Big changes!!! Some have gotten married. Some went thru a divorce. Some had kids. Some lost their jobs. Some moved away. People change, and sadly, life moves on.

Third, your membership says you've got almost 2400 people, but the list of members who visit regularly is probably in the range of 25-50 hard-core people. Not a big enough group to sustain and build on the excitement every day.

Fourth, since I first joined the Junkies forum, the focus has shifted dramatically from daily street riding--much of which involved hooning the backroads a couple times a week--to track riding.
    That eliminates a ton of folks right away, most of whom don't have the money or the skill or the equipment to race.
    And there were some very unfortunate losses of close friends in the early AFJ days that may have colored folks desire to continue doing that kind of balls-to-the-wall riding.

Fifth, I think the main thing that makes it difficult keeping us close is the very real fact that, as a group, folks who ride motorcycles are about the most individualistic people you'll ever meet. No one is alike!!!
    I know I've posted many day rides on this forum, as has Rob Giles and a few other "outsiders".... only to have little or no response. It doesn't offend me because I know the type of riding I like and the routes I choose aren't for everyone.
    I did the exact same thing when I first found this forum. I'd been riding alone for more than 45 years, and after trying to join the group rides in the early days of the Junkies, I realized that style of riding wasn't for me and so I continued riding solo.

Everyone on this forum and in the Junkie family has changed, and I think the group dynamics have changed as a result. AFJ may continue to exist in it's new form for a long time, or it may die a sl@w death due to lack of participation.
    Good thing to remember is that the friendships and bonds we've made by riding and partying and socializing as a group--and most importantly, our love of being on two wheels--will last whether the forum continues to exist or not.

Old guy out.
    The best idea for a quality life is to die young as late as possible.

cha cha changes
    WERA #112

"It is, ironically, something I hear over and over again. The harder you try, the s1ower you go. The more you relax, the calmer you remain, the better the bike responds, and the faster the lap time. It appears that the ideal temperament for a Grand Prix rider is no longer that of the wild man, who throws his heart into riding, but of the Buddhist monk, observing calmly and acting with careful deliberation"

most things come back around full circle... I got a good spot to throw a shindigg, lots of trails and huge bond fire... let's get a keg and c who comes out? cpr style, breath some life back!
    Junkies live fast, they don't die *FasterLongerDeeperHarder**FasterLongerDeeperHarde r**FasterLongerDeeperHarder**FasterLongerDeeperHar der*!
    '' Practice dosen't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes PERFECT!''

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultForumJunkie dobr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55 View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents as sort of an outsider. Even tho I've been riding for a long time and around on this forum longer than some, I never really felt like I was part of the " AFJ family".... mostly because I'm way older than a lot of the members on here.

My observation? It's no one's fault, and it's everyone's fault.

First, this has been a very flat spring for a lot of forums. Our LocalRiders forum has been dead for months. Economy? Weather? Fuck if I know, but this isn't the only riding group that has been quiet lately.

Second, I'm old, so time changes my life a bit more sl@wly nowadays, but the young folks on AFJ? Big changes!!! Some have gotten married. Some went thru a divorce. Some had kids. Some lost their jobs. Some moved away. People change, and sadly, life moves on.

Third, your membership says you've got almost 2400 people, but the list of members who visit regularly is probably in the range of 25-50 hard-core people. Not a big enough group to sustain and build on the excitement every day.

Fourth, since I first joined the Junkies forum, the focus has shifted dramatically from daily street riding--much of which involved hooning the backroads a couple times a week--to track riding.
    That eliminates a ton of folks right away, most of whom don't have the money or the skill or the equipment to race.
    And there were some very unfortunate losses of close friends in the early AFJ days that may have colored folks desire to continue doing that kind of balls-to-the-wall riding.

Fifth, I think the main thing that makes it difficult keeping us close is the very real fact that, as a group, folks who ride motorcycles are about the most individualistic people you'll ever meet. No one is alike!!!
    I know I've posted many day rides on this forum, as has Rob Giles and a few other "outsiders".... only to have little or no response. It doesn't offend me because I know the type of riding I like and the routes I choose aren't for everyone.
    I did the exact same thing when I first found this forum. I'd been riding alone for more than 45 years, and after trying to join the group rides in the early days of the Junkies, I realized that style of riding wasn't for me and so I continued riding solo.

Everyone on this forum and in the Junkie family has changed, and I think the group dynamics have changed as a result. AFJ may continue to exist in it's new form for a long time, or it may die a sl@w death due to lack of participation.
    Good thing to remember is that the friendships and bonds we've made by riding and partying and socializing as a group--and most importantly, our love of being on two wheels--will last whether the forum continues to exist or not.

Old guy out.
    There is a lot of truth here.

Quote Originally Posted by PREZ View Post
    What I like is we are all still here/there. We went thru some crazy changes and events. My life changes has made me focus on the business and I'm still all bikes daily. I used to put in mass time to making events and we all spent back road time together. We are looked up to and are like a legend lol. I have no time to plan like I used too and I also as u know dont have the urge to ride nor do I have any Sundays like the past. I really think that the facebook took all the current and new generation riders and they dont forum. Speaking of that the forum gets no member requests. Its broken or something. I cant fix it myself and i have no idea of the passwords or anything anymore. If we want to grow again we need people at shellway every sunday who want to learn the craft of motorcycling not just be the new age rider.
    A legend only last as long as people remember. Maybe its time to ask for help (financially) and get the site up and running. What about selling banner space to help fund the page?

Quote Originally Posted by aforrest4 View Post
    Pres needs to give someone access to approve people when they try to join.
    And someone needs to be active in organizing events.
    Even if it is only bike night.

Personally I travel too many days for it to be me.
    I hate being an adult.
    Definitely need someone to take over the website if Prez is too busy.
    WERA #66

AssfaultJunkie AssfaultFreak Project84's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll second everything icantdrive55 said.

I'm 30, been "in" the group for a while but I also never felt welcomed because I didn't have a track bike to take out every weekend. That's really no one's fault but my own for my preference and choice in bike, but even at Wednesday nights there were tight little groups and no where for just a general "motorcyclist" to fit in.

I partied at FlyTrippers with you guys the year he almost took his head off with the acetylene bomb! lol I was the doofus who crashed in Shennanigan's car that night. What a freakin' blast that night was (from what I remember). I've partied at Mid-O with you guys 3 or 4 years. Most of you are probably reading this thinking "who the fuck is that guy?"..... that's my point! AFJ is basically a track group and since I never did track I was never in the "in" crowd. That's no problem but are you a track association or a motorcycle group? "Street slayers" still exist in here?!

2 years ago I rode my FZ6 to the pig roast at FlyTrippers in like 30*F and was the only bike to show up and felt like a ghost, no one even cared that a motorcycle actually showed up to a gathering of motorcyclists. I paid my dues, drank a few beers that I brought, ate some pig and left. People just don't talk motorcycles in AFJ, it's all about track... or pedal bikes.... or guns....

I ride all the time. Last few years 15-20k street miles is the norm. I do a lot of sport touring/moto-camping off the bike now. I don't like riding the same back roads week in and week out so I admit to alienating myself in that regard. There's a whole world out there and the roads east/southeast all just get better and better. 99% of the time I find myself riding alone. If anyone ever wants to moto-camp and tour around east KY, VA, WV, TN... drop me a PM and lets figure out a weekend to do it!

I check this website at least 4x a week FWIW.
    "Skeet" '01 KTM Duke 2 -&- '10 Triumph Tiger 1050

Quote Originally Posted by scheistermeister View Post
    Have there been season starting parties the past two years? I feel like I have missed those if there were.
    Hell, I can throw a season opener party tomorrow. I don't have trails or anything, but BC and prez know we get down.

Sooooo wanna ride Sunday?
    Shell at 11
    RIP SHAWN

"Black and Yellow"

"All about a dolla, My team into cash gettn"

Team Green

ROLLER Racing

Double R inc.

Life gets in the way of everything.
    RIP SHAWN

"Black and Yellow"

"All about a dolla, My team into cash gettn"

Team Green

ROLLER Racing

Double R inc.

I miss motorcycles
    16 STI

When most of the OG junkies stopped riding the street, there wasn't anyone to try to show out to anymore...

Mellovision...
    GSX-R600K7 WERA#228
    Let the haters, hate...
    ...you already know.